Basic knowledge of pineapplePineapple, also called Ananas comosus, is one of the tropical fruits. It is the most significant and economically plant in the Bromeliaceae family. And nowadays, pineapple is easy to be found in any grocery store, supermarket or fruit store. People like to eat pineapple because of its sweet taste. All over the world, there are more than 70 varieties of pineapple. Pineapples can be consumed fresh, cooked, juiced, or preserved. They are found in a wide array of cuisines.
Pineapple is native to South America, Brazil, Paraguayan and the Amazon. In the sixteenth century pineapple was introduced into China from Brazil and is popular in South of China, as Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian and Taiwan etc. Now, pineapples are cultivated almost all the tropical and subtropical zones.
Pineapple is multiple types of fruit which develops form many small fruitlets fused together around central core. Each year, there are three times fruiting periods, but the best taste is pineapple which is ripe between June and August. Generally, pineapple is a short, stout stem with a needle-tipped rosette of waxy long leaves. And the skin of outside is rough, tough and scaly rind. When eating pineapple, the outer skin must be cut down. And each pineapple measures up to 12 inches in length and weighs 1 to 8 pounds or more.
Nutrition facts of pineappleThere are many kinds of nutritional ingredients in pineapple, such as fructose, glucose, vitamin b and c, citric acid and protease etc. and one cup of fresh pineapple chunks almost contain 82 calories, 2 milligrams of sodium, 22 grams of total carbohydrate and 1 gram of protein. One day a cup of fresh pineapple chunks can provide 131% of vitamin C you need and 2% of vitamin A and calcium and iron. Now let’s look at the ingredients of pineapple as the following form.
|Content(per100 grams pineapple)||87.1gram||0.5gram||0.1gram||126millgram||20millgram||0.08millgram||1.2millgram||6millgram||0.2millgram|
Benefits of pineappleJust as other fruits, pineapples are good for our health. The main ingredient bromelain has been used in studies to ensure the effectiveness of alleviating joint pain, arthritis, inhibit tumor growth and reduce inflammation etc. Apart from this, many studies have indicated that pineapples can decrease the risk of obesity and diabetes, heart disease and promote a healthy complexion, increase energy. The main benefits of pineapple include:
- Asthma prevention: some certain nutrients are found to be help to reduce the risk of asthma, the most important one is beta-carotene which is rich in pineapples, mangoes, broccoli, papaya, etc. So people who consume more pineapples have the lower chance to get into asthma.
- Help to lose weight: sounds ridiculous? Can pineapples help to lose weight? Absolutely true, there are almost all the vitamins our body needs and more than 16 natural minerals which can help digestive absorption. What’s more, there is abounding of juice in pineapples which has the function of acidolysis. People can eat food matches pineapples or just drink the pineapple juice.
- Help to clean intestines and stomach: people are always in trouble of eating too much meat. But now you can relax, the bromelain can disintegrate protein and promote healthy and regularity digestive tract which is helpful in constipation.
- Help to keep your skin young and water wet. The antioxidant vitamin B and C which contains in pineapples can protect your skin from the damage of sun and pollution. What’s more, eating pineapples can reduce wrinkles and improve skin texture. In addition, vitamin C plays a very important role in the formation of collagen which is vital to your skin.
- Lower blood pressure: it is helpful to increase potassium intake for our body, but no more than 2% of US adults meet the recommended potassium intake of 4700mg every day, pineapples contains abundance of potassium which can lower blood pressure to make people keep fit.
- Other diseases: apart from the above benefits, pineapples also have effect on some other diseases, such as: kinds of cancers, diabetes, inflammation and heart health etc.